Thursday 12 August 2010

Playbuilder Knock Back

Since being elected a couple of years ago, I've been involved in a new community group in Longton North called the Chad Park Partnership. There are a few individuals who I have mentioned previously in my blog who do a tremendous amount of hard work, on a purely voluntary based, to try and improve the play facilities for young people in the area.

The partnership have had some great early successes- the new MUGA behind Gladstone Primary, and in partnership with the Council to improved play area at Anchor Rd. To me, the Partnership is everything that is good about communities, charities and the public sector working together for the greater good- what David Cameron might call 'the big society'.

I can honestly say being involved with the Chad group is one of the things I am proudest of as a ward councillor, so I'm really upset that the next phase of the project - the completion of Anchor rd rec with a mix of playbuilder and ward funding - has been seriously jeopardised by the Central Government's withdrawal of playbuilder finance.

I fully understand that central government has to cut the cloth given the situation of the public finances, we know we will have to make difficult decisions here at a local government level as well. But there is a paradox between the Prime Minister's rhetoric about Big Society (which on the whole I agree with because of the underlying cooperative ethos), and the slash and burn on schemes like playbuilder which are enabling communities to improve themselves in a collaborative way.

My solace is that I know the determined individuals involved in the Chad Park Partnership will keep up the momentum generated by their early wins, and I'm sure that despite this set back we will continue to see improved open spaces in Sandford Hill and Meir Hay.